Follow Us

Thursday 24 July 2014

Grey Days full of sunshine!

My eyes, my poor eyes.... something's wrong. Oh. No, wait, nothings wrong. I haven't suddenly become colour blind...Ive just realised the error of my ways.

What colour-addict comes up with a colour challenge and puts GREY in as the third colour? I defend my upcoming white and black days. Both can be classy and are in their own right, very important in the colour palette. Grey though? Its such a non colour. There is no cheeriness in grey. Nature hasn't even bothered including it much. Except with the odd rock, or stone. Even then, it gave entire landscapes to much better coloured rocks....Utah, Arizona, Ayers Rocks anyone?

Yes, I crave a deep grey couch, especially after one of my instagram followers posted hers. (I have a slight problem with coveting anything pretty anyone else cool has... ) Yes, a slightly off white, grey even, paint would be gorgeous for our kitchen cupboards. But spending three days searching with enthusiasm (and with difficulty) for as many grey items with a two year old, has definitely quenched my need to put a large grey homewares bill on our credit card.

Grey has put the word challenge into the #colourbythewall challenge!


It doesn't happen often in Ireland, but the weather has been gloriously blue skied and downright beautiful. We've spent the last three days outside which has made for the perfect week so far, but its been hard to create grey photographs! I am incredibly grateful the weather hasn't participated though.

We've had playdates on the beach

"Ooh look kids, a grey mist across Poolbeg Chimneys" 




We've stepped into the craft room for a few minutes to make stone mice



We've pretended silver is grey by wearing silver jewellery and painting our toes 'grey'






We tried to spot some grey stuff while grocery shopping, but as we will discuss next, grey food, is thankfully not easily found. So, for the many many Ewelinas out there, here is your moment...





The only food I could think of that was in any way appetising was a limited edition champagne flavoured magnum. I'm a good mammy, and don't like to encourage alcohol consumption in the under threes, so, I made sure not to share this with the toddler.



On Tuesday night, I thought popping some grey food colouring into some macaroons couldn't be that bad... they'd be grey, giving me a photo opportunity, and they'd be macaroons. Of course I'd want to eat them all. I should have known as I put them on the baking tray, dessert might well be a strawberry yogurt from the fridge. 

blurgh


I carried on, baking and banging the tray on the table, hoping to create that all elusive macaroon 'foot' at the base. In vain I may add. My lemon flavoured grey (good oul food colouring again!) filling didn't do much to help the aesthetics of the macaroons. So we began the game of 'eating dessert with your eyes closed'. They were delicious. I'm sorry you have to look at them, rather than taste them. 


blurgh again


Just as I was losing all faith in grey, I read exciting news from Dublin Zoo, featuring one of our favourite grey animals. Born after a 22month gestation (poor mama elephant!) the male asian calf was born weighing about 80kg. There is a competition on Dublin Zoo's Facebook page to choose his name. Can Ewelina be a unisex name?



During this evening's preparation for green (wahoo, a REAL colour!!!) I discovered a gorgeous grey (or silver!) No Added Sugar dress I have put away until Penn fits into it, which will probably be next summer. I wish I could wear it! This photo does not do it justice at ALL!



Penny stood by the wall, wearing her grey clothes and I even joined in for day one. After today's laundry, I realised I actually have a few more options, but I was glad to use the excuse of having nothing suitable to wear, as I donned iluminois yellow, pink and teal the last few days instead.      (possible slight exaggeration)


Rock Your Baby bear dress, H&M hat, and Livie & Luca shoes


H&M hat and cardigan, with Oh Baby London trouser, and Ash Shoes hi tops 


Bobo Choses top, with Rock Your Baby circus tights


We added rub on tattoos to our arms and looked at our super cool art by Ciaran Brennan, all in the name in learning the word and colour grey. Penn can say and recognise it. She's not that fussed.. and if you haven't guessed, neither am I!!!!


Wearing our Mutiny tattoos 


Art Wats by Ciaran Brennan

We didn't have much time for online window shopping, but a quick visit to H&M and these items got our attention 


Glittery Tulle Dress €19.99

Pleated dress €14.99

Wool Hat €6.99 (we *need* this!)

2 pack knee socks €4.99 (we are sock obsessed in this house)




One of our all time favourite brands is Slugs and Snails. Irish, (so obviously amazing!) and with the loveliest customer service around. Penny has a pair of their tights that she has been wearing since she was two months old, and only at 20 months, did they go into the 'hand-me-down' pile. The quality, durabilty, not to mention the AMAZING patterns, quite simply put Slugs and Snails tights, the top of our list for autumn/winter 2014.

Here are a pair of their rainbow style. Now, there is no need for mammies to be jealous, as these come in adult sizes too!



With our best friend in Australia, we have become aware of the wonderful style and fashionable brands on the market there. One of our favourites is Ledgers Legs. Penn has the cutest fake-leather leggings from them. They are absolutely baby-rockstar material, and our next pair are these 'distressed leggings'. I can't wait to get them!


This is a bit of a cop out, but, these jeans are SO amazing, that if we didn't already own them, they would be on our grey wish list. From Rock Your Baby, purchased in Mira Mira, and as you can see, AWESOME! 




We are delighted that people have joined in with our hashtag, either alongside us, or at their own pace. We even have seasoned bloggers like Medicated Follower chatting about our challenge on her Trendy Thursday blogpost this week. Exciting!

So, here we are, rubbing our little grey toesies together three times, hoping that green is much more fun. Sure, we are Irish, its our colour....lets do this!







4 comments:

  1. Your daughter is gorgeous - I wish mine would stand still for a moment for photos! I really like the dress and tutu outfits, she looks very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh your children are beautiful as are the clothes! Amazing piccys and tomorrow? I shall be running out to buy a champagne magnum ASAP! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh - now I want instragram to join in! Loved the clothes, my daughter would love the cat dress... I love the outfit with the H&M cardigan, although possibly not the season for it! Glad to have found your blog. #trendythursday

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous photos. My son's 3 1/2 and I struggle to get him to pose anywhere!

    I'm with you on grey. It can look stylish in homewares, and is a good neutral base colour, but it does need a bit of pepping up #TrendyThursday

    ReplyDelete